Tuesday, May 6, 2008

An Incredible Story!

Last year, at the end of the year high school athletic meet in 2007, when he fell short by 9 seconds in the race, he had said with a firm voice, "I'll do it before I graduate, mom! No matter what!"

Actually, at that time I cared less about it. Well, like any other desi-mom, I too associated a bigger importance to academics than sports until the awards bestowed upon him! For I simply believed what can a pulchar-kid like him do among those tough all american boys? I wondered how to impress my priorities as the right track over the running track!

A few months passed by, even before I realized and quickly. I could see a growing pressure inside of him being a high school senior, as this was going to be the last athletic meet of the season of his last year of high school career. Additionally, more discipline was required to balance it all out, being an elected co-captain of the varsity track and field team. I saw him determined and running every single day, rain or shine and really working hard towards breaking a personal record. So, I kind of felt he will get there. Quite frankly, I did not anticipate a daunting quadruple in one single athletic event!

The great moment arrived as if it came running to me and so fast! My eyes filled with joy of tears as my son bagged series of awards at the award ceremony dinner banquet. Palo Alto High School named a lifetime achievement award after him called 'The Alok Subbarao Award" which goes to the most inspirational athlete of the year who shows EXCEPTIONAL SPORTSMANSHIP in any sports. What an honor and a pride moment, all the hard work paid off! Alok dedicated the award to his inspiration coach Jeff Billing who simply believed in him.

Some one asked me at the award ceremony, "what do you feed him??" .
"Pure vegetarian"  I said, with a big smile,  "... and he feeds on his own what you call determination!" :-)

1 comment:

  1. --- On Tue, 4/29/08, Ravindra @infosys wrote:
    Dear Pushpa Greetings from Bangalore! It is nice to see that Alok is doing so well not only on the intellectual plane but also athletically! Our congratulations to Alok and to the family for all the support and encouragement you have been giving the children! Wish you all the very best and more wows be your way! Say Hi to Ravi. Regards Ravindra and Kshama


    ---anuradha murthy wrote:
    Hi Pushpa,He does look like a Viking God. I am going to print this article and frame it in Vivek's Room so that he see it it every morning and gets inspired. Wow!!! What an accomplishment. Our very best and Congratulations to him and to you and Ravi as parents. I think when your kid shines it is the brightest moment in your life. What a role model for Akhil and all our kids. I am in awe...... I truly wish and pray his life will be a string of Successes. Anu Mahesh


    ---On Mon, 4/28/08, Hari Doss wrote:
    Dear Alok, Ravi and Pushpa:
    This is incredible..!! What a great achievement!! Congratulations. it is a 5.01 mile..!! Amazing accomplishment.

    Your husband in the 1980's beat me in 100 meters by a mile!! I came in second..and I tore up my hamstrings trying to catch up with him. Ravi is a great runner as well. That was in Kannada Koota competition.

    As friends we are all very proud of Alok’s accomplishments as an athlete. Thank you for sharing this wonderful news. I used to be a long distance runner for 22 years. I ran some marathons. Of course no where close to your son’s times. However indeed it interests me immensely to know about athletic accomplishments of our friend’s children. Hope you are all well.
    Take care and hearty Congratulations to Alok again. With Love,Hari

    --- on Monday, April 28 "Vasanthi Venkataraman" wrote:
    -->"Alok is the pride of Palo Alto ," Pushpa, "Alok is the pride of our Indian community". You are so fortunate and blessed to be the parents of this high achieving kid. My hearty wishes for Alok to attain exceedingly high success with his future endeavors. Best,Vasanthi Hi Pushpa and Ravi , Congratulations to you and Alok on such a great achievement. It always amazes me how well rounded achievers Alok and Akhil are, from school, to athletics, to our culture and how well you guys raised them. May they get a lot of success all their lives. Cheers!Abhinav and Pratima


    --- On Mon, 4/28/08, Charleson @ Accord wrote:
    I want some of Alok's DNA to inject into Vanny and Spencer. Congratulations on raising a remarkable young man on so many levels. dave



    --- On Mon, 4/28/08, Alamelu Iyengar wrote:
    Wow indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great athlete! It is an honor to the whole community> Our hearty congratulations to Alok and ofcouse to th suupportive parents and cheering brother.Alok is a very talented, articulate, intelligent young man. we are very proud of him and wish the very best in his future endeavors.
    warm regards,
    Alamelu & Narayan.



    --- Frncois wrote:
    It's great to hear from you! Wow, this is absolutely awesome. Your son is a wonderful athlete. This is great since he will keep this inside forever! I hope to see you sometimes. Cheers.François


    --- On Mon, 4/28/08, Bhavani Kumar wrote:
    "Congratulations" to Alok and his family, nice to hear the great achievements. Bhavani Kumar


    Dev Kurbur wrote:
    Congratulations Pushpa and Ravi as proud parents and to Alok for a fantastic set of achievements.
    I have interacted with Alok a few times and in addition to being a great athlete, he is a wonderful kid

    Dev


    From: BV Jagadeesh
    Subject: Re: Fw: Wow!

    Our hearty congratulations to Alok and to you both as parents.. it is indeed a great moment to cherish.. we are all very proud of Alok, one of our own for his accomplishments..

    /Jagadeesh
    B.V. JagadeeshPresident and CEO 3Leaf Systems


    --- On Sun, 4/27/08, aruna wrote:
    Hi Pushpa and Ravi,Aditi told me to read this article when she wasediting it and I did when it was posted on Voice!
    Please convey our congratulations to Alok - what aremarkable young man he is, you must be so very proudof him and his accomplishments. Our best wishes to himas he continues to pursue his hopes and dreams.Aruna, Uday & Aditi

    ReplyDelete